Visual Arts Industry Day
Thursday 6 December 2018
Get one-on-one feedback from industry leaders.
The Helpmann Academy is thrilled to announce our Visual Arts Industry Day. We have gathered a number of exceptional industry leaders to provide South Australia’s emerging visual artists with one-on-one portfolio feedback, and advice on navigating their desired path for career development.
Purposefully selected curators and directors will share their varied knowledge, experience, and advice. Discuss your work and career development plans with industry leaders who you feel are most closely related to your practice. This is a not-to-missed opportunity for feedback from a diverse selection of highly respected professionals, available to visual artists who are graduates from Helpmann Academy’s partner institutions, within five years from their final year of study.
Industry leaders from South Australia and interstate include:
- Gillian Brown – Curator, Samstag Museum
- Trudyanne Brown – Director, BMG Art
- Melinda Martin – Director, Linden New Art, Melbourne
- Hugo Michell – Director, Hugo Michell Gallery
- Liz Nowell – CEO, ACE Open
- Brian Parkes – CEO, JamFactory
- Lisa Slade – Assistant Director, Artistic Programs, Art Gallery of South Australia
- Tony Stephens – Director, Artbank, Sydney
Read their Bio’s here.
How the day will be structured
Held at St Paul’s Creative Centre over the duration of one afternoon, each industry professional will conduct a series of one-on-one 15-minute feedback sessions in their own meeting area. Sessions will be timed and a bell will signal when it’s time to move on – imagine a speed dating kind of set up! There’ll also be a 15-minute afternoon tea break.
Our hope is that the sessions will be casual, warm and informative.
A refreshment area will be available for artists who’ve booked multiple sessions booked, but have time in between. You’ll be able to grab a cup of tea or coffee and chat with other artists while you wait for your next session.
We ask you arrive 10-15 minutes before your first session to check in with Helpmann staff and make sure you know the lay of the land before commencing.
How to book your sessions
The following time slots are available for each industry leader:
In order to accommodate as many artists as possible, you will have the opportunity to confirm two (2) timeslots with your preferred leaders at the time of booking.
Your third preference will be booked tentatively, and if we are able to accommodate this meeting time, we will let you know.
Bookings are on a first come, first basis. To book your sessions, please call the Helpmann Academy during business hours on (08) 7320 3330.
Bookings close 5.00pm Friday 23 November.
How to prepare / what to bring on the day
To get the most out of your sessions, there are a few things you should prepare ahead of time.
- Come prepared with a plan of what you want to talk about and what questions you want to ask. These may be the same for each leader you speak with or vary depending on their expertise.
- Structure your session, and make sure you leave time at the end for extra questions that may arise throughout the conversation.
- Bring a carefully selected portfolio and images. Make sure you have some good images of the work you would like to discuss, whether it’s finished work or work in progress. We suggest printing them out or having them on a laptop where they are easily accessible.
For further information please contact Helpmann Academy on (08) 7320 3330 or [email protected]